Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Big6™ Process Model

The Big6™ Skills
The Big6 is a process model of how people of all ages
solve an information problem.

1. Task Definition
1.1 Define the information problem
1.2 Identify information needed (to solve the information problem)
What is my current task?
What are some topics or questions I need to answer?
What information will I need?

2. Information Seeking Strategies
2.1 Determine all possible sources (brainstorm)
2.2 Select the best sources
What are all the possible sources to check?
What are the best sources of information for this task?

3. Location and Access
3.1 Locate sources (intellectually and physically)
3.2 Find information within sources
Where can I find these sources?
Where can I find the information in the source?

4. Use of Information
4.1 Engage (e.g., read, hear, view, touch)
4.2 Extract relevant information
What information do I expect to find in this source?
What information from the source is useful?

5. Synthesis
5.1 Organize from multiple sources
5.2 Present the information
How will I organize my information?
How should I present my information?

6. Evaluation
6.1 Judge the product (effectiveness)
6.2 Judge the process (efficiency)
Did I do what was required?
Did I complete each of the Big6 Stages efficiently?

No comments:

Post a Comment